Our Sister’s Closet
A Free, Donation-Based, Clothing Boutique For Women
Our Sister’s Closet is a free, donation-based clothing boutique serving women in transition, whether they are going to work, school, court or looking for employment.
Each 90-minute appointment is focused on outfitting a woman with the appropriate clothing to help her feel beautiful, to boost her confidence, and help her get ready to achieve set goals.
On average, women receive between 3 to 5 outfits, plus shoes, makeup, accessories, and personal hygiene products.
Our Sister’s Closet is by appointment only. To make an appointment, please call on Monday mornings as appointments are scheduled one week at a time: 509.789.9280
The YWCA offers free child care for women who have appointments in Our Sister’s Closet to help mothers have a more individualized, uninterrupted experience.
If you have an immediate need and are unable to wait to schedule a full appointment, or have already utilized your full appointment for the year, please call 509.789.9280. We will put together an emergency bag of necessary items to help you with your immediate need.
An example of a possible emergency bag could include a pair of black slacks and black shoes for a job interview, or personal hygiene items, a coat for the cold weather, or shorts and shirts for hot summer days.
Open Store Events
Each year Our Sister’s Closet conducts Open Store events that are open to all women in the community to shop the store during a 2-3hr period. These events are usually held quarterly and align with seasonal transitions. Follow the YWCA of Spokane on Facebook to receive notification about upcoming open store events, or call 509.789.9280.
Our Sister’s Closet helps 1100 women a year prepare for their life and career goals by providing confidence through clothing and other necessities in one-on-one appointments in our donation based clothing boutique.
Our Sister’s Closet also helps approximately 600 women a year through open store events, where they are able to freely shop the store for their particular clothing and necessity needs.
How and What to Donate
Our Sister’s Closet accepts gently used clothing, accessories, and new hygiene products on a continuous basis throughout the year. Any donations that are not a fit are distributed to partnering agencies who can utilize the items.
Tax-deductible donations can be dropped off at the YWCA front desk at 930 N Monroe, Spokane, WA 99201. A Staff member will receive donations during normal business hours (Mon-Fri 8-5pm). After business hours, you are welcome to also drop off donations in a bin stationed by the YWCA front desk any time the main lobby is open for YMCA gym services.
Donating Best Practices:
- Consider focusing on providing donations that are in good condition but are no longer a fit for you.
- Please refrain from donating items that are torn, stained, broken or in a damaged state of any kind.
- Please refrain from donating used bathroom products, used makeup, or used underwear, as they cannot be redistributed due to sanitary reasons.
- Hot items we always need:
- Full-size bottles of shampoo and conditioner
- New deodorant, toothbrushes, makeup, and toothpaste
- Gently used or new bras
- Seasonally appropriate clothing in all sizes, but especially in sizes 0-6 and 16+
- Maternity clothing
- Donation Wish-List
Host a Clothing and necessities Drive
Help Our Sister’s Closet by organizing a clothing or necessity drive for a particular item or set of items.
Organizing a drive in three easy steps:
- Call on your community. Are you part of a book club or church group? Work in an office? Want to do something fun and different with your friends? Figure out the people who can help you collect items and let them spread the word!
- Decide what you want to donate to us! The following items are great for drives:
- Bras and panties (Bras can be used, panties must be new)
- Cosmetics – perfume or body spray, make-up and skin care
- Accessories – purses, scarves, belts, shoes, jewelry
- Please let us know about your drive. We can help to advertise on our Facebook page (if you are seeking community support), let you know what our greatest needs are and schedule a time for you to drop-off or possibly us to pick up items from you.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 509 789-9280.
Volunteering in Our Sister’s Closet
Our Sister’s Closet would not be possible without the continuing support of volunteers. We are a fast-paced and ever changing environment, where volunteers do a variety of tasks from sorting the donations we receive, answering phone calls, being personal stylists in appointments and light data entry. Volunteering time to help women find clothing and other items to help them in a time of transition is a tremendously rewarding experience.
Skills of an ideal Our Sister’s Closet Volunteer:
- Excellent time management, able to complete a variety of tasks
- Able to work by themselves and well with others
- Knowledgeable about appropriate clothing fit and styling
- Curating the store, able to select clothing that is modern, versatile and functional
- Greets customers with warmth, able to assist in appointments, is proactive by pulling items for clients, asks informed questions regarding fit and style of items
- Basic Microsoft Office skills, proficiency with chrome and google programs a plus
- Able to adapt to a constantly changing environment, flexible and likes meeting new people
- Background/past experience in fashion merchandising, retail, interior design, customer service would be a plus.
If you would like to volunteer in Our Sister’s Closet please contact Teresa at 509 789-9280 or by email at: TeresaD@ywcaspokane.org.