Children and Youth
We educate, care for, invest in, and advocate for over 1000 girls and boys each year.
YWCA Spokane has been providing care and educational services to children since 1967. Currently, YWCA offers Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program (ECEAP) to help 3 and 4 year-old’s be kindergarten ready. We also provide free on-site Child Care Services for women so they can participate in classes and services offered at the YWCA. In addition, our Child and Youth Advocacy Program provides counseling and services to children and caregivers who have survived domestic violence and are in the process of rebuilding their lives.
- Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program (ECEAP)
- Free On-site Childcare
- Trauma Support
- Healthy Relationships
In Spokane County, domestic violence is a Top Community Priority, in part because of the ways that domestic violence affects children. Here are the facts about domestic violence in Spokane County, according to the Spokane Regional Health District and Spokane Regional Domestic Violence Coalition.
- 1 in 3 youth experience verbal abuse in their family
- 1 in 5 youth witnessed abuse between adults more than once
- 1 in 5 youth have been abused by an adult
- 1 in 10 youth experience intimate partner violence
- More than 2,000 children are documented as witnesses to a DV-related crime
- 1,490 children were identified as victims in DV-related incidents
- These numbers underestimate true exposure due to inconsistencies in tracking and underreporting.
Safe Home Safety Rules for Children
The fact is, every responsible parent is concerned about their children’s safety. At the same time, it is important for kids to socialize at a young age and be able to have a certain level of freedom to grow and develop independence. It’s all about finding a healthy balance, which can be tough. While ideal, constantly keeping your eyes peeled on your kids may not always be plausible. The good news is, you can implement some basic safety rules for your children to abide by. This will help them become more aware of how they can protect themselves when you are not around. Learn how to here.
Read More About our Children and Youth Programming
Check out our blog for news on our children and youth programs and services!