Racial & Social Justice Spotlight Series
Each month, our Equity Coordinator, Lara, sits down with an organization or individual in our community to spotlight the work they do to create real and lasting change for a more equitable Spokane.
45 min. listen
Naghmana Sherazi, Community Outreach & Advocacy Organizer, APIC Spokane
Naghmana Sherazi has worn many hats in her decade residing in Spokane. Her path from cytogenetic technologist to Climate Justice Program Director with The Lands Council and Community Outreach & Advocacy Organizer for APIC Spokane has been a full and inspiring one.
Additionally, she has made history in Spokane by being the first Muslim, immigrant woman of South Asian descent to run for office and win in a primary election and co-chairs Muslims for Community Action and Support.
YWCA Spokane’s Racial & Social Justice Committee
Our vision is to strive to be a consistently accurate resource for information on racial, ethnic, and cultural awareness to promote diversity, equity, and inclusivity in employment, in business practices, and in the care and services provided throughout the communities we serve. For 2023, the RSJ Committee is focusing on:
- Community Partnerships
- Enhance outreach efforts to community partners and liaisons to share ideas, support each other with action, and solidify connections. View the list of our RSJ Partners.
- Education & Training
- Provide training to YWCA staff, board of directors, mission partners and the community to allow awareness of subconscious thoughts or attitudes that affect our perceptions about people, the decisions we make, and the impact on our community.
CHECK OUT OUR OTHER SPOTLIGHTS
- JANUARY | 2023 Washington Legislative Session
- FEBRUARY | If You Could Save Just One
- MARCH | Latrice Williams
- APRIL | Tracy Poindexter-Canton
Find past RSJ Spotlights here.
If you or someone you know should have their advocacy work highlighted through our RSJ Spotlight series, please email equity coordinator, email@example.com.