Spokane Domestic Violence End The Silence Town Hall
- Open a dialogue about domestic violence in Spokane.
- Hear from professionals addressing this issue.
- Increase public awareness of this epidemic in our city.
- Provide a forum for you, the community, to ask questions.
- End the silence with domestic violence and show victims this will no longer be tolerated.
- Thursday, May 17th
- Submit your questions & enjoy refreshments: 5-6pm | Town Hall: 6-8pm
- Spokane Eastern Washington Center – RM 122 Auditorium
- 668 N Riverpoint Blvd, Spokane, WA 99202
- Free, public event, all are encouraged to attend.
- Direct questions to: 703-8756 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- People needing accommodation should contact Deb Svoboda at email@example.com or call 509.359.6470 by May 11, 2018.
Why It Matters
This is a conversation we can’t afford not to have. The severe impact on our community, legal system, schools, and social services systems is undeniable.
IN OUR CITY, SPOKANE
- Family violence was voted the #1 issue in 2018 community needs assessment.
- Over 13,500 victims are identified each year. Many more are unseen and unheard.
- In 1 year 14,532 domestic violence related calls were received by law enforcement.
- The #1 call to 911 is domestic violence related.
- YWCA Spokane’s domestic violence helpline receive an average of 4000 calls each year.
- 1490 reported children and youth were impacted by family violence and another 580 children witnessed incidents of intimate partner violence in our community.
IN WASHINGTON STATE
- 1180 deaths have occurred in WA ST due to domestic violence (1997 – 2016)
ACROSS THE NATION
- On avgerage, 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner.
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have been victim of intimate partner abuse.
- 30-50% of transgender people will experience intimate partner violence.
- Victims are 70 times more likely to be killed trying to leave an abusive relationship.
- The presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation increases the risk of homicide by 500%.
- 1 in 15 children are exposed to intimate partner violence each year; 90% of these children are eyewitnesses to this violence.
- Victims of intimate partner violence lose 8 million days of paid work each year.
- The cost of intimate partner violence exceeds $8.3 billion per year.
- 25% of the population experience domestic violence but less than 15% get reported.
Thank You Sponsors
This event is brought to you through partnership of the following organizations: